Important Reading Practice Links Below
Tips and Tricks
The IELTS Reading test consists of three passages. To finish the test in the allotted time, you should spend no more than 20 minutes on each passage. This section contains 40 questions, each worth one point, with no negative marking for incorrect answers. The questions are divided into different types, which are detailed lower down the page. Please double-check your spelling, since an inaccurate spelling will result in an inaccurate response.
1. Question: Does the reading test comes first.
Answer: No, the listening test comes first. The reading test comes second.
2. Question: What should I use to write my answers on the answer sheet, pen or pencil?
3. Question: Will I get 10 extra minutes to transfer my answers to the answer sheet?
Answer: No, you will not be given extra time to transfer your answers.
4. Question: Will I lose eone xtra point if my answer is incorrect?
Answer: No, there is no negative marking.
5. Question: Is it OK if I leave any questions unanswered?
Answer: No, you must guess the answer.
6. Question: How is a spelling mistake treated?
Answer: As an incorrect answer.
7. Question: How important are the instructions?
Answer: Very important.
8. Question: How many sections are there in IELTS Academic Reading?
Answer: 3 Sections
9. Question: Average number of questions in each section?
Answer: 13 or 14 questions
10. Question: The total number of questions in all sections?
Answer: 40 questions
11. Question: How many words are usually in all sections?
Answer: Around 2,500.
12. Question: What will be in each section?
Answer: A long text with 11 to 14 questions below it.
13. Question: What kind of text will it be?
Answer: In the form of academic passages on topics of general interest from magazines, books, journals, and newspapers.
14. Question: How many words should I be able to read in a minute?
Answer: Around 170 words
15. Question: How can I read so many words in one minute?
Answer: Learn to skim and scan the text.
16. Question: What is skimming?
Answer: It is a reading strategy which helps you read a text quickly and develop an overview.
17. Question: How can I do this?
Answer: Use rapid eye movement. Do not stay focused at one point, keep moving your eyes to read further and some time back and forth.
18. Question: What is scanning?
Answer: Finding specific facts without reading the whole text.
19. Question: How can I find specific information without reading?
Answer: Through key words:
Proper Nouns (Vishal, Yamunanagar, Robert, London, Haryana)
20. Question: Are Skimming and Scanning enough to score high?
Answer: No, a wide range of vocabulary with synonyms and antonyms is equally important.
21. Question: What are IELTS Reading question types?
1. Table Completion
2. Note Completion
3. Summary Completion
4. Completion Tasks
5. Sentence Completion
6. Short Answer Questions
7. Multiple-Choice Questions
8. Flow-Chart Completion
9. Classification Type
10. Matching Sentence Endings
11. Yes, No, Not Given Questions
12. True, False, Not Given Questions
13. Matching Headings
14. Matching Information to Paragraphs
22. Question: Which question type should I answer first?
Answer: Matching Headings
23. Question: Why Matching Headings?
Answer: To answer matching-heading type, you need to read the text in detail, which can help you develop a general idea about the text.
24. Question: How can I improve my reading?
Answer: By improving your vocabulary and reading as much as you can.
25. Question: What should I read?
Answers: Read what interests you the most. It could be about sports, Bollywood, politics, or anything else.
26. Question: Is reading the topics of my interest enough?
Answer: No, use strategies such as skimming, scanning, paraphrasing, and looking for synonyms and antonyms.
27. Question: Are there reliable sites where I can practise IELTS reading?
Answer: Yes, Click for Official IELTS Reading Practice: Academic
28. Question: Can I practise reading level-wise?
Answer: Yes, Click to visit Cambridge Assessment Reading.
29. Question: Can I attend free IELTS preparation webinars?
Answer: Yes, click to register
30. Question: Where can I find IELTS General Training Reading Test-paper?
Answer: Click to access